Sneakers are one of the most delicate and yet one of the most stylish shoes on the market today. There is no debate on this fact, however, cleaning them is not an easy thing. Patience and dedication are required if you plan on using it for a very long time. While other shoes could be cleaning easily, a sneaker requires extra care while cleaning. It is the same when using it. You need to take care of them in the right way. In this article, we would recommend tips and steps to clean and care for the sneakers.
How to clean the sneakers –
Most people consider washing their sneakers in a washing machine, this is wrong, even if the manufacturer and brand recommend doing such a thing. We would like to ask you not to do it. While most of the branded sneakers are designed in such a way that it could be machine washed, it is not actually good to machine wash it. Instead, follow the below-mentioned steps to clean it manually.
Step 1: Collect all the things needed for the cleaning process, remember, as already told, cleaning a sneaker is a challenging task. Purchase the cleaning brush and cleaning solution based on your sneaker model and brand. Check if your shoe brand has any specific recommendations. Few of them recommend using a specific type of brush and solution. Make sure you are following the instructions if mentioned.
Step 2: Before using the accessories, knock the sneakers one or two times to remove some dry dust and dirt on it.
Step 3: Now, use a brush to rub the exterior of the sneakers carefully to remove the remaining dust and dirt sticking on the shoes. There are different types of dedicated sneaker cleaning brushes available on the market. Find a suitable brush for your sneaker and use it.
Step 4: After rubbing the sneakers with a brush, remove the insole, lace, and then dip the sneakers in warm water and then add some cleaning solution to the water. While the sneaker is in the water, use the brush to wipe it in a circular motion. Do it gently, if your shoe has hard-to-reach spots, use a toothbrush to reach such spots.
Step 5: While cleaning the shoes, you should work up the lather so that the cleaning solution could offer maximum cleaning efficiency. However, remember, this cleaning process is not suitable for leather sneakers. For leather sneakers, consider following specific leather cleaning methods.
Step 6: Once, the above-cleaning process is completed, you need to dip the sneakers into regular water to remove the soap and dirt on it. Dip the sneaker in the water two or three times for maximum soap removal.
Step 7: After taking the sneaker out of regular water, use a microfiber cloth to remove the excess water on the sneakers.
Step 8: Now, place the sneakers under direct sunlight for 1 or two hours maximum. You must remember to take it off as soon as it dries.
Follow the same cleaning process for cleaning the lace and insole, remember, if the lace and insole are too hard to clean, you could replace them with new ones.
How to care for the sneakers in the right way –
Caring for your sneakers is one of the most important things that you need to do to extend their lifespan and to make them look like new. Here are some tips that could help you do so.
- Always consider leaving your sneakers on a shoe rack, never put the sneakers where it is congested.
- Re-stuff the sneaker whenever it is not in use for a long time. You could use tissue paper, magazines, or used newspapers to do it. Re-stuffing sneakers could prevent them from developing creases or dents. Most of the experts recommend doing it.
- Always wear socks while using sneakers, one of the common mistakes that most people do is neglecting to wear socks while using sneakers.
- If possible you should clean the stain the same day itself. Spot cleaning is one of the most effective ways to keep your sneakers neat and clean. If you clean the stains on your sneakers before it settles, it would be an easy task.
- From the day you take the sneakers out of the box, you need to treat them carefully, consider using dedicated sprays to make them stain and water repellent.
- Never machine wash your sneakers, machine wash could damage the fiber and soles of your sneakers. Always clean the sneakers manually.
- If you are going to leave the sneakers without using for some time, at least two months or more, you need to pack them in the original box or a dust proof bag. At the same time, never leave them exposed to direct sunlight. Direct sunlight could cause skin coloration.
- Re-stuffing the sneaker and wrapping in them sheets is one of the best ways for long time storage.
The above-mentioned cleaning process is specifically for machine-washable sneakers and not leather sneakers. If your sneakers is made of leather then Google your sneaker model and cleaning method and follow the instructions.